• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bubbaseller11 OFFLINE  

bubbaseller11

• Member No: 7781
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi. My Dad has an old R6 that he's had forever. I can remember him planting our garden and cutting grass with it when I was little. It was such a great little tractor that he even taught my five year old brother to drive it. Many years has since passed and he has started restoring it and is looking for manuals, pics, and parts - especially a hood. If anyone can be of help, please let me know. Thanks a bunch!!!:wave:

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Welcome to GTT Bubba! I only know a sparing amount about Shaw, but member DougT may be asble to help you. He's the modertor of the Shaw forum & I'm sure he'll be along soon. Do you have some pics of the R6 to upload?

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Bubba,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:14 PM

:wave: bubbaseller11 Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you here! I agree that Doug will likely be able to help. We'd like to see some pictures of what you have too! Thanks for signing up!

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:04 AM

Welcome to the forum, Bubbaseller11. Always glad to hear of another Shaw being saved. I'm not sure Shaw ever supplied a manual with the tractor. I've never seen one. I do know a guy that has repopped the hood and clutch cover sheet metal. Do you have the cast grill? If your engine is original, we can get a close date from the engine numbers. Don't know what part of the world your in but the national Shaw reunion is going to be held in Ohio this summer. We'd be glad to have you join us!

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Don't know what part of the world your in but the national Shaw reunion is going to be held in Ohio this summer. We'd be glad to have you join us!

Oh, I thought it was always held in Galesburg, Kansas, but then I'm not up to speed on Shaw. I did go to Galesburg though, but sadly all I could get was pics through the window of the small Shaw Museum. The caretaker was ill when I arrived for my quick pass through.

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Oh, I thought it was always held in Galesburg, Kansas, but then I'm not up to speed on Shaw. I did go to Galesburg though, but sadly all I could get was pics through the window of the small Shaw Museum. The caretaker was ill when I arrived for my quick pass through.

There is an annual Galesburg Days celebration over the 4th of July. They just don't always host the tractor club. We usually try to go somewhere different every year. Most of our regulars are from the northeast so its usually more up in this area. They had it in Galesburg twice. The last time was in 2003 for the 100th anniversary of Shaw. At that time main street (the one the museum is on) was dirt. The only one of the 6 that was paved was the county road on the edge of town. I oftened wondered how many towns in America still had a dirt road main street in 2003. They also had their own post office. It was a real interesting trip.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:06 PM

There is an annual Galesburg Days celebration over the 4th of July. They just don't always host the tractor club. We usually try to go somewhere different every year. Most of our regulars are from the northeast so its usually more up in this area. They had it in Galesburg twice. The last time was in 2003 for the 100th anniversary of Shaw. At that time main street (the one the museum is on) was dirt. The only one of the 6 that was paved was the county road on the edge of town. I oftened wondered how many towns in America still had a dirt road main street in 2003. They also had their own post office. It was a real interesting trip.

I was born and raised in SE Kansas, it wouldn't surprise me at all that they had dirt roads. A town in that area with more than 15,000 residents is considered a City LOL

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:25 AM

I was born and raised in SE Kansas, it wouldn't surprise me at all that they had dirt roads. A town in that area with more than 15,000 residents is considered a City LOL

Galesburg was far from a city! I don't remember the exact population but it was less than 200.

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have been through Galesburg a few times. What I was trying to say is that there are not a lot of towns of any size in that area. I grew up about 40 miles east of there in Pittsburg. It was the biggest "City" in the area. (29,000) It wouldn't surprise me at all that the main street is dirt, there are a few other towns around there the same way.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Galesburg sure is in the middle of nowhere out there! The road I took into Galesburg was gravel! Took me back to my childhood memories of home here in KY. My county road got blacktop around 1964 or 65.

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I drove from Pittsburg KS to Thayer KS a few times years ago, had a friend there, I always like to take some back roads. I used to know the area good, but that was years ago.

#13 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 06, 2012 - 04:28 PM

I know this is a littl ebit of an OLD Post...but was doing some digging, lol!
I have lived in Coffeyville for almost 40 years....used to haul gas to Galesburg, lol!