#1 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:15 AM

Ok, I have a '64 Springfield 36 thats almost completely re-done the way i want it. prob is this- it came w/ a 7/7.5hp B&S engine. i have a great deal in front of me 2 get a 12.5hp B&S to put in its place. I need 2 know if it will be too much torque for the rearend 2 handle. not lookin for "keep it original" advice as i have many toys i have done that with. i jus need opinions on wether this will work!! plz help!!

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:26 AM

It will be fine to use the 12-1/2hp B&S.

Unless you apply a load which will exceed the strength of the gears (such as trying to pull a stump or a sudden "shock" load), you should not have any problems.
  • plowboy said thank you

#3 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:42 AM

i have a small cultivator rake i will b pullin w/ it @ low speeds thru my garden which has no roots or anythng restrictive, & a yard trailer...thats bout it.

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:07 PM

It all depends on how/what the rear end is made of. If it is a cast iron with a seperate transmission, I wouldn't worry another minute. If it is an aluminum trans-axle, depending on how heavy it is built, you may get away with it. Are you planing on doing anything other than mow the lawn with it?

#5 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:13 PM

dave- its deff heavy duty...these springfields wer built like tanks. it'll b used for pullin small cultivator rake, yard trailer, stuff like that. i have numerous other GT's for mowin. my concern is because its a belt driven rearend, unlike horizontal shaft direct drive like my case. just didnt know how it would react. I believe i'm gonna give it a try & find out...lol

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Feel your pain on the engine swap. I just put a 16hp in place of a 7hp in the Panzer. I figure it's likely stout enough to handle it, but since it's only me using it, then I'd know when to back off the power... and would have no one else to blame if I broke it.

Both of those engines should have 1 inch shafts. What I'd be more concerned about is clearances in height and width. Also, the crankshaft on the 12 should run higher off the mounting plate than the 7, right? Anything can be worked around if you got the space. Belt lengths and all that stuff.

#7 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:37 PM

1st off- im jealous of ur Panzer lol. 2nd- yes i hv plenty of room. i think it will be a nice upgrade.....
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#8 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Go for it ! I look at it this way: IF it wasn't built to handle wheel spin, it should be in the scrap yard. The fact that it came with a 7.5 hp to begin with, which at the time would have been considered a "larger GT", you won't hurt a thing. By the "wheel spin" comment I mean...you only have so much traction. If you can break the rear end loose and not hurt anything, you're not going to hurt anything. :D

My JD 116 5-speed... now that is a different story all together. IT is on its' second trans-axle since I've owned it and is without a doubt, the weakest link in the chain.
Seriously, WAY under built from day one. That is about to change... :mad2:
  • plowboy said thank you

#9 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:53 PM

lmao....thata boy....i have purdy lil machines j a purdy tractor lovin girlfriend to match...lol. i need a worker & Springfields were made for just that. i brght her back to life from a rusted heap buried in weeds so might as well go for the max!!

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like a great project, but where's the build thread LOL? We'd love to see some progress pics as you move along on it!

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:13 PM

Your hood may interfere with the 12.5 HP's air cleaner, so raise the hood, don't cut it!! The 12.5 HP will fit and work just fine.

#12 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Feel your pain on the engine swap. I just put a 16hp in place of a 7hp in the Panzer. I figure it's likely stout enough to handle it, but since it's only me using it, then I'd know when to back off the power... and would have no one else to blame if I broke it.

Both of those engines should have 1 inch shafts. What I'd be more concerned about is clearances in height and width. Also, the crankshaft on the 12 should run higher off the mounting plate than the 7, right? Anything can be worked around if you got the space. Belt lengths and all that stuff.

if u break anything on that tractor with a 16hp i would be amazed. Im looking to build on with a 289 or 302 small block ford motor. now thats power

#13 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thank you everyone, yes i have decided to buy the 12.5 B&S. the engine is almost new and i got it for $150. I didn't think that was bad after all the other ones ive found for alot more in much worse shape. and no Casey, I would never cut anything...i can make anything the shape i want without cutting. Thank you everyone...pics will be posted as soon as I can. In my gallery are already progress pics...I will start a thread with them soon....

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:10 PM

I know you wouldn't cut it, but I also know there are many out there that would.... I was just combating the would cutters out there.

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:34 PM

if u break anything on that tractor with a 16hp i would be amazed. Im looking to build on with a 289 or 302 small block ford motor. now thats power

Well if you put a ford engine in there, then you need a good video camera as well. I'm assuming that you've seen this video? This is required watching for any panzer owner or want-to-be owner. The moral of this story is that if you're going to go that big, the only thing it's going to be good for is videotaping.
CB 750 Garden tractor burn out. - YouTube