• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• Member No: 4705
  • 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:23 PM

Back to tires for a snow blower on my 316. I Installed a 2 stage blower, Changed to loaded ag tires on the rear. Almost in good shape.

The problem is, the blower is so heavy it squashes the front tires. Is there an alternative to the turf saver tires for the front that will hold more pressure? With the maximum 12 lb the sidewalls almost hit the ground with the blower lifted.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:49 PM

I bought a pair of 18x6.50-8 Snow Hogs which are a 4 ply tire. I never used them with a blower but they should help you.

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:12 AM

The common solution is to load the rear with weights to offset the weight on front.

#4 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:42 AM

You gotta get some wieght on the back of that tractor,

My last tractor you could side the rear end around with 2 fingers when the blower was up,

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Put 18 LBS in the front tires. They won't blow unless they have a cut or other defect.

Edited by Gtractor, December 12, 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#6 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 08:58 AM

The common solution is to load the rear with weights to offset the weight on front.

I have loaded the rear tires, and added 120 lb of iron weights to the rear. This helps with traction, but it poor front tires are squished.
I wonder if loading the front tires with liquid would help.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:00 AM

loading the fronts will only help with traction - which is not your problem. Add just enough air until they look right with the blower up.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:01 AM

In order to offset the blower weight you need to put the rear weight behind the axle. Loading the rear wheels will help with traction but won't offset any of the weight on the front wheels. You need to look at wider or stronger(more plys and higher pressure rating) tires for the front.

#9 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 12:03 AM

What size are your front tires?

My Ariens has 13x5x6 on the front and they have a max rating of 40lbs in them, one wouldn't hold air for long, think it was a bad bead seal so i put tubes in both of them. The manual for my tractor says to put 16lbs in the fronts but the tires say right on them they are rated for much more. I put 25lbs in the front tires after adding the tubes, the ride feels much better with the weight of the blower on the front. I have wheel weights and a weight box but the Ariens blower attachment is a heavy bugger and the tires were still squated a fair amount.

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:59 AM

The two stage blower for your 316 is a monster. As the others have said, you need lots of weight behind the rear axle.

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 02:30 PM

proper solution is a tractor that is not disproportionate

you could foam fill the tires

#12 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:21 PM

While I understand the need for weight rear, I don't see how this could possibly help take load off the front tires.
Just guessing, the blower weighs around 400 lbs and is about 5 feet from the rear axle. Rear weights are about 1 foot behind the rear axle. This means for every pound of reduction on the front tires, I would need 5 pounds of weight rear.
So if I want to reduce the load on the front tires to 200 lbs, I will need to add 1000 pounds of weight to the rear. I do not think the frame or rear tires would handle that ;{

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 07:36 PM

...You need to look at wider or stronger(more plys and higher pressure rating) tires for the front.

I agree with Brian on this one. I see what you're saying and your math is correct, but the distance should be taken from the center of the rear axle. If you have a hitch setup on the back, you're probably 2 feet back from the center of the axle. You're not trying to offset the entire weight of the blower, just decrease the load on the front tires. Heavier tires combined with some weight behind the rear wheels will certainly help.

#14 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 01:52 AM

Exactly, the rear axle becomes your fulcrum point, so you have to take into account the distance from the axle back to the added weight. Adding weight to the tires only increases traction it doesn't offset the weight of the blower.

I have wheel weights on the rears for traction weight, i also have the factory weight box that goes on the back to add more weight to offset the blower. I keep two concrete blocks and my 5 gal gas jug and a small toolbox back there. Its probably only about 60-70lbs when the gas jug is full but its enough to feel the difference. However, adding weight behind the axle also puts that weight on the axle, that is it becomes a load on it. Adding weight to the tires doesn't put extra pressure on the axle, it only adds rolling resistance.

#15 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 18, 2011 - 11:09 AM

I just got a small amount of snow. Just enough that I can try this beast out. I am now going to disagree with the idea of "lots of weight behind the axle" idea. This helps with the blower up, but when it is down, it takes to much off the front, leaving little weight on the tires to turn with. I had to lift the blower for sharper turns to get enough weight on the tires to turn with.