#1 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:24 PM

i found something i cant figure out . if you want 1st gear you have to flip up a little door thingy otherwise it just 2nd 3rd 4th and reverse . why is this ???

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Maybe it's just for convenience to keep you from selecting Bull Low unless you really mean it! It does seem a little unusual though.

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:15 PM

As one who has spent hours on 110's and 200 series tractors I find little to no need for 1st gear, especially with a properly adjusted variator. I would expect it to be used for tilling and that is about it.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:23 PM

As one who has spent hours on 110's and 200 series tractors I find little to no need for 1st gear, especially with a properly adjusted variator. I would expect it to be used for tilling and that is about it.

1st gear was also used for snowblowing. The tab is to keep the user from shifting into 1st gear, since it's low and slow gearing. Most owners only used 2nd-4th, as these were the desired speeds for mowing, pushing dirt, or just traveling. If you elect to remove the tab, you'll find, it can be a nuisanse trying to get the tractor into second gear.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Some of my Springfields have the extra low gear and it is handiest gear on it, and my favorite gear when towing other tractors back to the shop for repairs. I mean you have to steer both tractors, right?? LOL

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM

Gary,
As mentioned, that's tab is to keep you from accidentally shifting into first gear, which is similar to a creeper gear. You will find for most uses, you won't be shifting into that gear. Also, as mentioned, the tab will make it easier to shift into second gear as the gears on the top portion of the shift quadrant are close together and without that tab, it would be difficult to find second gear.

#7 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:40 PM

i wouldnt take it off i just didnt notice it when i bought it . so it has a sled pullin gear that will make my 14 year old daughter happy . i think thats what we are going to do with it she said she would pull it if i painted it pink . so i think we are going to have a pink patio tractor .

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 07:18 PM

There are different makes that have that same set up,like the 482 Cub Cadet for one.

#9 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 09:36 PM

The Cub Cadet 1100, the 482, 582S and possibly a couple of other Cubs used the same 2300 Peerless transmission. Only difference, Cub used a drive shaft to a right angle gear driving the drive pulley. IH could have saved a lot of money just by moving the engine sideways and just using a belt, but I do think they prided themselves on having a drive shaft, no matter what the set up was.