Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18) runs.... kinda...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:30 PM

No Tuck, the fun is the seat time!! Repairing them is just not that much fun to me. Now restoration ain't bad, at least I don't have to fix it...

#32 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:39 PM

Do'nt get discouraged, everyone is having problems, it's just that some carb / fuel systems are more subseptable to it than others.

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:44 PM

I try to remember that I hate working on internal combustion engine, but for some reason... I picked a hobby that has them for the most part...

Mabey I should restore the Elec-Trak E20 sooner than planned....

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 15, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Well, I messed with the Caterpillar a little tonight. Tested the Relay, it goes *click* so that's working. Pulled my plugs and they are burning tan, that's another good sign. Checked the electric PTO (engine off) and it goes *clack* and allows me to spin the engine by it, so that's a good sign. I have touched things, and they are working... wonder if that's a sign...

So anyway, I had purchased a new fuel filter, as Alan had suggested it could be an issue. I read the package and it said to replace them every 100 hours... well, I have never replaced it, the PO probably didn't either, and it didn't look great, but didn't look bad either (clear style). So I decided it was just another link in the system... so replacement time.

I yanked the battery out and went to work (gasoline in the line, so safety first). Undid the work clamp on one side, and the spring clamp on the other, and tried to carefully pull the lines as to not lose any gasoline. That plan worked for about 2 seconds LOL. So after installing the new fuel filter I decided to call it a night. With the battery tray soaked with gasoline I decided it was not in my best interest to see if it would run. Tomorrow is another day, and I hope it will just run.

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 12:35 AM

Good luck Casey, hope what ailed my GT5k is what you're dealing with. It was a simple fix to a frustrating problem... Hope tomorrow goes well & attaboy for not rushing it and having a problem.

#36 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 01:05 AM

Good luck Casey, hope what ailed my GT5k is what you're dealing with. It was a simple fix to a frustrating problem... Hope tomorrow goes well & attaboy for not rushing it and having a problem.

I sure hope it is that easy Alan. I really don't see anything wrong anymore so hope that the stupid fuel filter is all it needed.

#37 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Casey I know you had it running good before and not sure of the fuel filter location with the fuel pump but I just found out the difference this past year on those inline filters , Al
http://gardentractor...l-filters-9891/
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#38 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Mabey Al, but my fuel filter is the non screen style, and before the pump. I got the Premium one, clear and big lol.

#39 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 16, 2011 - 11:58 PM

Well, earlier I started the Caterpillar and it is working great at high idle but not well the lower I go, so the low idle jet must be clogged, so will have to fix that sometime lol. It does not require priming to start though, I tried not priming it today to start it. Don't know if it will restart or not but it still won't turn off, so mabey I don't have the system right?? I have the ground terminal thru my relay and to my ground on the tractor. I have continuity between the ground and magneto ground terminal no matter if relay is on or off... but the thing does start and run... any thoughts on this guys?

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Casey ,if you run a grounded test wire to the back of the relay will it shut off then ? Maybe a broken wire between the relay and the magneto ? What are you using to test the grounds,, test light or multi-meter ?

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 08:17 AM

And how are you making connections on this relay? It it push on connectors or soldered on?

I know you said you have no intention of unmounting the relay, but you may need to to check it over.

#42 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 10:04 AM

I am using spade connections on the relay and have had it off to double check my connections 3 times in the past 3 days. Al, I haven't tried a test wire bypass test yet, good idea. I was using a multimeter to test the continuity last night.

#43 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 10:25 AM

Not saying this is one of those times but I've been fooled using a meter when checking things , depends how your checking it doesn't " load " the circuit enough and is easy to be fooled . Al
http://gardentractor...eshooting-5043/

#44 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 10:32 AM

Just a little :mad2: and some :sensored: and you will have it up and running.

#45 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 10:32 AM

I remember that Al, but still have yet to figure out the right test for my tractor...