Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18) runs.... kinda...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:07 AM

Not trying to throw water on anyones flame here, but the only "correct" way to completely rule out the fuel system, is to start at its' source (the tank) and clean EVERYTHING from there forward. I can't count the number of bikes that I've bought and ALL of them, needed a good (and when I say good I mean tear them all down and start with the pieces) cleaning. Usually the reason a machine gets parked. Anything that sits as a seasonal machine, tends to build up varnish that over time, chokes out the many small passages in the carb circuits. You mention that it runs smoother with the Gumout in it...that is a tell-tale sign that without the Gumout or whatever...the engine is running lean. The reason that it runs better with the "magic clean all" in it, is that it richens the mixture to a point that it will fire.

Were it me, I'd at least pull the carb, get a gasket set (which "should" include the o-rings needed) strip the carb completely down so that the only thing left is the carb body itself, and throw it in a can of Berrymans Carb Dip, berrymanproducts.com/ for 24hrs. Pull it out of there, use a can of spray carb cleaner to chase all the passages and circuits with, and then follow that up, with compressed air. The single body carbs used on the Briggs engines are as simple as ANY carb ever built and you will be happy with the results.

I'm a self-confessed carb FREAK, so pardon me if I sound like I'm on a box full of soap.

#17 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:21 PM

wouldnt hurt to chase those passages out with a fine wire either

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Here is what I meant by runs better with the Gumout in it. I let the tractor sit for months at a time and that is just long enough to gum up things (the new gas has a short life). What I do is get it started and run it with the Gumout in the tank and that cleans out the system until the tractor will idle and all just fine. I add Gumout every time I let the tractor sit for over 4 months, and I rarely run a tank thru it before parking it, so that means I end up treating almost every tank of gas.

#19 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:16 PM

That carb has some sealed passages and you just can't get everything out, and when you do it just plugs up again. I converted all my briggs twins to the new style pump and that ended the problem, I see even briggs is using it on there new stuff

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 11:28 PM

Halfscale, you have a picture of what this conversion looks like/costs. I have a offcarb vacuum pump on mine so that works good. I didn't know of the sealed passages.

#21 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:57 AM

Here is what I meant by runs better with the Gumout in it. I let the tractor sit for months at a time and that is just long enough to gum up things (the new gas has a short life). What I do is get it started and run it with the Gumout in the tank and that cleans out the system until the tractor will idle and all just fine. I add Gumout every time I let the tractor sit for over 4 months, and I rarely run a tank thru it before parking it, so that means I end up treating almost every tank of gas.

Casey you should give the product Stabil a try. It last better than a year and you don't have to worry about the gas breaking down. I use it every time I fill up a gas can. I swear by the stuff.

#22 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Casey you should give the product Stabil a try. It last better than a year and you don't have to worry about the gas breaking down. I use it every time I fill up a gas can. I swear by the stuff.

I strongly second this...Stabil is a great product, Especially with this stuff they call fuel today.

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I changed the plugs and fired it up, sounds much better. I let it run 20 minutes and decided I wasn't gaining so going to change fuel filter tomorrow, and see what that gains. Will most likely have to mess with the carb... I hate that.... Anyways, turned the key off and insult to injury... it was still running!! Now I have to revisit my relay... or even my ground because the PTO didn't work either, and it used to be fine... I dunno, mabey it's just me... This tractor is beginning to irritate me....

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Remember, it's a hobby. You'll get it Casey... Just take your time.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Alan... I want a new tractor for this hobby then...

#26 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 07:46 PM

That would take all the fun out of the hobby, wouldn't it? :D

Everything that I "put away for the winter" gets Non-Oxiginated fuel, treated with Stabil and a couple ounces of Sea Foam. Both first rate products that ACTUALLY WORK.

As much as I love carbs, I HATE when my neglect, forces me to repeat the process...

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I am going to make some calls this next year and get my hands on a diesel garden tractor, cheap, surely that will be better.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I am going to make some calls this next year and get my hands on a diesel garden tractor, cheap, surely that will be better.

Yeah Casey... Diesels never break down and they're really cheap to fix too... :poke:

(sorry, just had to poke you on that. Hoping it works out for you buddy)

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Who the heck knows Alan, I sure don't...

#30 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:18 PM

I dunno, mabey it's just me... This tractor is beginning to irritate me....

Don't give up, Casey. This is when the fun begins, like I try to tell my brother. He got a Bolens 1256 that after trying this and that and spending money on, ends up needing a new hydrostatic and engine. He is a little discouraged with it but, hey, this is the fun of old tractors. Trouble shooting and repairing them over and over.