• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• Member No: 1760
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Tried to email the guy, but Ebay wouldn`t let me.

Could be expensive getting it shipped to Scotland. Hell of a job getting it in a suitcase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 10:04 AM

010.jpg

Here are the pictures of my tractor as promised.

I have tried to show my efforts at making a weight box and also some wheel chains. I hope not to have to use the chains. I can always increase the amount of 56lb weights in the box.

The snowplough main mechanism is off a ride on mower. Buying this saved me a lot of work fabricating the pivot and spring part. A bit of flat sheet, bent under my van wheel, makes up the extra width needed. I can always strip back the original plough and sell it again if need be.

The 2 orange things are snow shovels, for the tricky bits!!

Do you think I should paint the tractor back to white, or leave it red and get some decals made for the bonnet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 011.jpg
  • 012.jpg
  • 014.jpg
  • 008.jpg

#33 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:09 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9004[/ATTACH]

Here are the pictures of my tractor as promised.

I have tried to show my efforts at making a weight box and also some wheel chains. I hope not to have to use the chains. I can always increase the amount of 56lb weights in the box.

The snowplough main mechanism is off a ride on mower. Buying this saved me a lot of work fabricating the pivot and spring part. A bit of flat sheet, bent under my van wheel, makes up the extra width needed. I can always strip back the original plough and sell it again if need be.

The 2 orange things are snow shovels, for the tricky bits!!

Do you think I should paint the tractor back to white, or leave it red and get some decals made for the bonnet.

You have a good looking Tractor there

I'm sort of a purist so I would say paint her back to original colors, but If you want it red it will still look good :thumbs:
  • joiner said thank you

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 05:34 PM

You have a good looking Tractor there

I'm sort of a purist so I would say paint her back to original colors, but If you want it red it will still look good :thumbs:

:ditto::ditto:
  • joiner said thank you

#35 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi lads. Thats all my snow stuff ready now and still no bloody snow!!!!

Does any body have any pictures of how the rear pto setup works. Have downloaded plenty pictures etc of how the 3 point linkage works, so might possibly try fabricating it next,,, after I try and design and make a front tipping bucket. This will be a stop gap item until I can find parts to make a loader.

Is it Ok to turn the exhaust from horizontal to vertical without any bracing straps. I am a bit worried about the manifold. Will the 4 bolts keep it supported enough
without the risk if cracking.

#36 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Turning the muffler vertical will not hurt.It is a must when you have a fel on it.Just make sure to add a flapper so water does not go down into the motor.
  • joiner said thank you

#37 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hello again lads.

Another question for you experts. There is a QT17 for sale over here on ebay. Are the back ends the same, and could the engines be swapped over if need be. What years were the QT17`s made. The seller says that the tractor is not running. Will try and email him to see what the problems are. Are there any inherint problems with these tractors??

Still looking for info on the HT20 rear PTO set up. What speed does the front PTO turn at, and is it clock wise or anticlockwise turning. Asking with regards to a hyraulic pump for my future loader.

Seem to have taken a liking to these Bolens!!!!

#38 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 06:19 PM

The Front PTO on the HT-20 turns at 2000RPM's As for the direction they turn, I think I'll leave that to a Large Frame Bolens guy to answer.

If i'm not mistaken, the QT 17 was made only in 1979 and came with a Kohler KT17QS-24106A. It had an Eaton 11 Transmission.

The HT 20s used The Sundstrand 15 Transmission.

So the Transmissions are two different kinds.
I 'm not sure on how easy it would be to swap engines but you would be getting less power if you were to use the QT's engine.

The QT's are known as the "medium frame" Bolens while the Ht series is in the Large Frame category. (The likely hood of any parts being interchangeable is slim to none>)
  • joiner said thank you

#39 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 06:24 PM

If you are facing the front of the tractor,the front PTO turns clockwise.
  • Bolens 1000 and joiner have said thanks

#40 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Thanks very much guy`s. That rules out buying a non runner for spares!!

Anybody got info on the rear PTO????????

#41 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hi guy`s. Still in the land of the living.

I have been making a wooden cab ( use what you have got!) for the tractor over the last few weeks ( pics to follow ), but have now taken the tinwork off to get it blasted, and I will then get it painted back to white. I will blast and paint the wheels when I can afford new tyres.
Which decals should be on the tractor. I have seen two types. The ones without the FMC part look to be from the early tractors. Am I correct in thinking this. Also is it possible to tell the age by the chassis number. I am trying to register the tractor for highway use but the authorities want the approximate age of the machine. The chassis number is---0201096---

Was at a sale last weekend and almost bought a J*** D**** 400 with 60" deck and trailer to move it with. Chickened out at the last second. Was I wise to do that!!!!!!!!!! Would have loved the POWER STEERING.

Am in the process also of welding up a bucket for the front. It will be a johnny bucket style to start with until I can find reasonably priced parts to make a loader. The bucket can then be used on the loader. What is the biggest ram that can be used, with the original hydraulics, without causing problems. Have read of some using a loader from the main pump. Is that a bit brave.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#42 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 01:11 PM

Well I dropped off the stuff to be blasted today and then went and got a Vee belt for the PTO. I had read somewhere that they should be 34 1/2". I got one which is 34" to see if it is ok before getting 2 more. It seems way too big and you can stiil turn the PTO shaft, without much effort, when the lever is in drive mode . Is this correct and do the 3 belts give enough drive when they are all installed. Does the tensioner pulley have any adjustment to cope with worn belts etc.

Thanks

#43 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 04:36 PM

The belt lenght is 34 1/4 inches.And when you get them get a matched set of three.

#44 joiner OFFLINE  

joiner

• 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Even with that much play will there still be enough drive? Thought about a 33" belt, but will this be too tight. I can only source 34" belts here, which I presume won`t make a big difference.

Any one got any clues on the age from the chassis number??

#45 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:47 PM

It should not have any play in the belt when installed but you will need all three to get it out.It will run decks,blowers and anything eles with no problems.Like i said though you need a matched set of three as belts will have different tolerences if not cut from the same lot.I have the OEM belts here if you need them.Just send me a pm.

As for the year give me the model and serial number and i will see what i can find.
  • joiner said thank you