• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 03:48 PM

rock in bucket.jpg

Heres some pictures of the JDX475 I had from 05-08. I could not justify a loader and got a Worksaver 24" dirt scoop for the 3pt. hitch. This tractor had a limited cat1 hitch and this makes a really cheap way to move materiel like gravel from piles. I used it to move several truck loads of garden soil, gravel and crushed rock. I also used it to move rocks for landscaping. It's a bit slow but did the job. You can also reverse it and use it to scrape up materiel. It dumps with a pull rope using gravity.
In order to keep the front wheels loaded I built a concrete weight. I cast it with sockets for the pins in the quick hitch and a rod for the hitch hooks. I simply drove up to it and picked it up when I wanted it on there. Cheap and convenient weight. It was about 200lbs. I also had homemade wheel weight brackets on it that took weight lifting plates. In the picture it has 50lbs/wheel I later got more weight so I was carrying about 90lbs/wheel.

I still have the scoop and use the frame to mount a scarifier and pull it with my 2320. I still have the front weight but never need it on the bigger tractor. I built a larger set of wheel weight brackets and use 180lbs/wheel now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 125_2576.jpg
  • 125_2575.jpg
  • 125_2572.jpg

• mikebramel said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Nice scoop and weights on that tractor, Brian. Good set-up with the front weight.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:36 PM

I love to make things out of concrete Kenny. I always find it a little bit of magic that you can cast something like that and 24hrs later without adding heat you can have concrete. It took a bit of work to make the form but the end result was worth it. I had the hitch so why buy and lug suitcase weights when I could just drive up to this weight and pick it up. Without it the front end was really light especially when backing down a hill with a load in the bucket.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:46 PM

JD, My neighbor had a rear mounted scoop just like that style to fit his MF20. He spent ALL one summer after work and weekends Building a pond at his house. It was in central Indiana and it's flat ground there. When he was finished, the pond was 10' deep in the middle and must have been 500'X500' square in shape. That little scoop couldn't have held over 6 cubic ft., and he made a lot of trips back and forth. He used the dirt to fill in a wash he had in the back of his place. Those scoops can do a lot of work, just a little bit at a time.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes, thats really what they are made for. In these parts you would need a backhoe or excavator to dig a hole big enough for a bathtub let alone the pond you describe. Different geology here. Rock and lots of them. They are cheap. The 24" one I had was something like 250US$ back when I got it. Once you've had a real loader though you can't seem to get along without one. I really thought seriously about putting a loader on that x475. In the end I went to the larger tractor.

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I had wondered about doing the same type of thing on my 316K. Not exactly a dump pan, but make a small liftable platform to be able to lift, move, and haul "stuff." More like the Johnny Bucket on a pin/3 pt hitch. It could gravity dump via a hinged platform and a catch.
Wouldn't be as good as a loader, but a lot simpler (thats spelled cheap and easy...) to implement. And could always back into a pile to load it up. How much can a pin hitch lift?

More "on topic", on my first tractor (a satoh beaver), I needed to move some dirt and didn't have a loader. I bought one of those tractor pans (thats what the old guy I bought it from called it...) used and cheap. It was really too big for my little tractor.... I had to be careful to not overload it or the front wheels would be pointing toward the sky when I tried to lift it, even with weights on the front of the tractor... But it got the job done!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 11:35 AM

These things are cheap. You may be able to find one used somewhere. The way they are constructed you can unbolt the bucket at the pivot and bolt on another attachment to change the function. In your case you could add a flat platform. I made up a scarifier bar for mine and I still use the frame with the scarifier to loosen up my driveway a couple times a year before I grade it with a back blade. You need to make sure it is the smallest model which would still be for a limited cat 1 but you could adapt it to cat 0 for the 316.

#8 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 03:20 PM

I see those listed on craigslist around here all the time. never really thought about doing that with one, neat idea Brian. Here is my poor man's loader. I use this thing alot .400 & Scooptote.jpg

Mark

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 05:12 PM

That looks handy Mark. Heres a picture of the scarifier bar on the 2320. I used it when I had my x475 GT and continued to use it witrh the 2320. I adapted it to fit the imatch hitch. The 2320 is much heavier and I've bent some of the prongs on it. With the 475 it would just stop and spin when it fetched up. I just mounted a piece of 3-1/2 inch angle iron to each pivot point and the bar bolts to the angle. Simple and works well. If I ever get a box blade I'll put the scoop back together and sell it.

scarifier 2.jpg

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Around here they are called pond scoops, so guess you can dig a pond if you have plenty of time & want a small pond. I've never owned or used one, but my BIL Meangreen has one & has used it a LOT as I understand.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 06:50 PM

i have a "poor man's loader" also, mine is quite differant though, it looks something like this...

Posted Image

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 07:53 PM

i have a "poor man's loader" also, mine is quite differant though, it looks something like this...

Posted Image

I have several of those around here. I don't use them near as much since I got a FEL on my big tractor. When I got my first lawn tractor I had a 10 cu ft cart. I shovelled 2 tandem truck loads of 1/2" clear stone into that cart that summer. I used that stone to make a network of paths in our back yard. All that shovelling was good exercise.

#13 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Mav, I was describing/thinking about one like yours. Did you make it yourself, or buy it?
If I could find one right, the bucket from a dingo or one of the other walk-behind-loaders would be the perfect size for something like that...

The pond scoops/tractor pans are pretty easy to find around here as well, but most of them are bigger than I want. Can't seem to find the smaller ones that would fit my appication.

Bmxkid313, I had to smile when I saw your post. I did some concrete work a while back and because of the location, we ended up trucking several loads from mixer to pour with a wheel barrow - no other way to get it there. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

#14 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:27 PM

Nope, I did not make it , it is factory made by a company called JRCO. I don't think they make them anymore but not sure. Here is a little information.
jrco_scooptote_250_2.jpg
Mark
  • Alc and Tennblue59 have said thanks

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:26 PM

haha i knew i would get a few laughs from that. i have 3 of those 10 cu ft trailers made of tin but they are all rotted, or bent so i made my own a couple of months ago. i have a thread on it in the implements section if you want to look at the build, i dont want to hijack this post.