• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:21 AM

me and my father worked with guy named Timmy with splitting wood and cutting down trees. we wanted to make a dump trailer out of it from the second we spotted it in the woods at Timmy's house. we asked about it and he said he and his dad build it about 30 years ago and used it for logs and that its been there for a few years and that if we wanted it we could have it. we brought it home and we didn't do anything with it so we moved it ''down the hill'' so it could sit in the woods for a few years until we wanted to build it. my dad passed away last may and i wanted to do something with it so it wasn't going to waste anymore.

this is what i drug "up the hill", the frame is twisted from Timmy dropping logs onto it with a skid steer, its not that bad so i left it... that and i have no acetylene.
Posted Image

i narrowed the axle by 7 inches on each side. now its the same width of the tractor that will pull it 95% of the time, my 71 power king 1614 with rear wheels facing out. the other 5% will be my 75 power king 1614 with the rear wheels in that belonged to my dad. its going to be used in the muddy woods a lot so i wanted it to more maneuverable and be in the same ruts as the tractor made from going over it so many times so it wasn't all over.
http://gardentractor...over the place.Posted Image

then put some supports in for the plywood floor that will go in it.
Posted Image

after that i cut the old coupler off and welded on a new one as well as put some corners on so i could screw on some sides, the front and back pieces slide up and out as tailgates. i needed new wheels as when the trailer was built they used 4 lug hubs and torched some 5 lug wheels to fit. the neighbor gave me a pair with tires on them already all i had to do was break the bead so i could put some new valves in and they were ready to go. tried it out and it worked great, held a full load of ash no problem with the sides holding solid. the only problem was that i put only enough air in the tires to seat the bead and i forgot to put more in them then when i got a load they popped off.
Posted Image

it only took an hour to get the tires broken down and to clean the mud out, i put the white walls on the inside...
Posted Image

here is one of my favorite pics of my power kings.
Posted Image

i did some math and it will hold roughly 21 cubic feet if it is filled to the top. once i get a grinder i will add some tire guards so i can stop clipping trees in the woods. i have a small gang box/ strong box thing and im going to put that up front on the tongue, once i get a grinder. there's a guy coming over today and he said he has a grinder i can have, hopefully he brings it.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the pics and the story! That looks like a very useful tool to have around! Nice work!

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:38 AM

Looks like a very sturdy trailer you have there , from the wood your putting in it it sure needs to be strong , Al

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Nice save of the trailer, I'm sure Dad is happy you got it in usable shape. Thanks for sharing.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hey bmx, I'm glad you shared this with us. WELCOME to GTtalk!!

I am SORRY to hear that your DAD passed last May, Glad to see you are carrying his LEGACY by building and using the very same equipment that he had worked on your home place. It looks like the apple didn't fall very far from the tree. Anytime you have any questions, be sure to post them here and we'll get you the answers you a looking for.

#6 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I am SORRY to hear that your DAD passed last May, Glad to see you are carrying his LEGACY by building and using the very same equipment that he had worked on your home place. It looks like the apple didn't fall very far from the tree. Anytime you have any questions, be sure to post them here and we'll get you the answers you a looking for.

:ditto:

Looks like a good sized trailer for a PK. I make mine either too big or too small. Thanks for the pictures and story.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. Nice looking trailer you put together.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for a really cool story and pictures. Sorry to hear about your dad passing but at least you are carrying on his legacy. I think I'm going to have to learn how to weld...

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:02 PM

I sure hate to hear your Dad passed on. I can sure understand why the PK your Dad gave to you will hold a place dear to your heart as long as you live. That is one PK that will never change ownership while your heart is beating! Great projects too!

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:06 PM

I forgot to tell you that you did a great job rebuilding that trailer. I bet it will do a great job for you for many years.:thumbs:

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:46 PM

thanks guys, glad i have your support.

olcowhand,
your right about the pk, its not going anywhere anytime soon and i never thought i would have become so protective over one tractor.

lovintractorin,
the trailer is the perfect size for a power king, it wasn't really my decision on how big it was going to be, just how high the sides are but it works well. it handles great but the 75 isnt set up for going into the woods, no wieght on the back and every tree root or rock i had to use the steer brakes. the 71 has calcium in the tires and chains so it will go anyplace i would ever dream of going with it, over logs, through mud and over rock walls.

hdwildbill,
welding isnt that hard, i picked up the welder a few months ago and started welding broken mower blades together to get practice. after no time at all i could weld better than people who are in there 40s and have welded their whole life.

here is a weld on one of the corners from the trailer
Posted Image

if i did not address you directly i does not mean i do not apprechiate it, thanks every one.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 12:54 PM

When you are welding vertically, you want to run the weld uphill. It appears that this one is running down hill and won't be as strong because you are not getting penetration in the base metal, but building up on top of the welding material you just did. If you have a problem getting the weld to stay as you go uphill. you can do several spot welds one on top of the other. It will make for a lot stronger weld. I hope this makes sense and helps.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 01:04 PM

When you are welding vertically, you want to run the weld uphill. It appears that this one is running down hill and won't be as strong because you are not getting penetration in the base metal, but building up on top of the welding material you just did. If you have a problem getting the weld to stay as you go uphill. you can do several spot welds one on top of the other. It will make for a lot stronger weld. I hope this makes sense and helps.

i know what you mean. i have nobody to teach me so any tips are welcome. there was some color change on the back so there was some penitration all the way through. do you know what those brown spots are? they wire wheeled right off.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 01:12 PM

That is called scaling and it is impurities in the metal that come to the top when the metal is molten. you want to remove it before making a second welding pass. This looks like you are using a MIG welding and using shielded Gas?

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 01:14 PM

That is called scaling and it is impurities in the metal that come to the top when the metal is molten. you want to remove it before making a second welding pass. This looks like you are using a MIG welding and using shielded Gas?

yes, hobart mig welder with straight argon... whats a shield gas?