Garden Tractor Forums banner

One Inch Thick.......

12K views 93 replies 23 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
Now that I have your attention thought I would share a pic of a few thing I picked up the other day.
Automotive tire Rim Tool Gas Circle

Found a couple used brake rotors with 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. One is all cast, about 14 lbs. Other has a steel center, about 10 lbs. Thought they might be good material to make some wheel weights with. Pour up some lead to bolt to the outside. Need to find a cheap turkey fryer for the burner. The O.D. is 11", inner O.D. is just under 6 7/8". 2 1/4" offset to the mounting holes. Don't know yet if they will work, I'll check today when it warms up some. Oh yeah, the one is nearly 1" thick where the pads were ruining it.
Picked up the brake pads, hoping to separate the pads from the backing. Not sure if that will work. But it is worth a try. The Cub could use new pads. I know I can buy new material, just wanted to give this a try once.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, once it warms up out there I'll see how they line up with the wheel bolts. The Ford has the smallest outside offset, thought that might make easy to bolt these on. Then get the lead poured and bolt to the outside ring if possible. Just throwing out ideas to see what you all think. Daniel probably won't open this thread, too many bad vibes.:bigrofl:

#6 ·
KennyP said:
Thanks, once it warms up out there I'll see how they line up with the wheel bolts. The Ford has the smallest outside offset, thought that might make easy to bolt these on. Then get the lead poured and bolt to the outside ring if possible. Just throwing out ideas to see what you all think. Daniel probably won't open this thread, too many bad vibes.:bigrofl:
HAD to open it to be sure you'd get this thing lined up proper! So you'll be bolting the lead ring on? Lead can be pretty soft, so maybe pour the lead over top of a 1/4" steel plate? Then the steel would sandwich the lead, making it more secure.

#7 ·
There you are! I named this thread especially for you. Didn't want you to go into withdrawal or something!
Sandwich sounds good, I could weld something on the inside to help hold the lead on it. Bad part is getting to the tire valves. But I'm just batting this around, looking for outside comments of the pros/cons of doing this. IF the stud holes line up, I could put in long studs and use a second nut to hold all this on. I think they will.

Reactions: larryd
#9 ·
Torch out a "U" in all metal pieces to allow valve stem access. On the outer steel plate that you will pour the lead onto.....weld in a "U" shape wall in the U slot. When bolted up you'll have easy access to the stem. You can also add screw-on valve stem extensions, making it real easy to add air.

#11 ·
You will have a PM shortly.

#13 ·
KennyP said:
Sounds good Kenny, but will it be aligned within 1 thou.:bigrofl:

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
My calibrated eyeball says within .0000000. Might want to get them balanced once I get the lead out, er, on. Know any good physicist I can use for that?

I guess I should have stated that I did check and they will fit the Ford just great. I'll have to use studs and 2 nuts per wheel. I'll have a turkey fryer here soon, so I can melt some lead. If I fill the tires and put about 60 lbs. of wheel weights on, the Ford should walk-the-walk.

#15 ·
Yeh, you got to have a physicist to do that kind of work. Otherwise, you know, it might only come out within a 64th or so! LOL

#16 ·
Darn, Daniel banned jdecker and I now have no way to find one.

#17 ·
Toolpartzman said:
I think custom making wheel weights is a great idea because they cost so much in freight. I wasn't aware you could buy lead ingot--can you? Or just melt down your
neighbors' weights while he's away?-----------
I have brought home various pieces of lead from the remodel jobs we have done. I've got quite a few pounds of it. Plus you can pic up wheel weight from car wheels to melt down. Takes quite a few of them though. I have mostly 1 1/2" and 2" drain lines from old plumbing that I am melting, mostly 1/4" wall thickness.

#18 ·
An additional consideration is that all this work would have to be spin balanced both clockwise and counterclockwise at many levels of rpm and tilt in travel . Lock washers both left and right handed will be needed. And a little Elmer's glue also . Anything else ?

#20 ·
I want my mommy! Okay that's over with!
Yeah, spin balance will be best with the high rpm's these tires will be turning. Definitely need the tilt balance, I'm gonna plow with this tractor yet. Think I should have them chrome plated to help with the wind resistance?

Oh yeah! Daniel, know where I can find a physicist to do my machine work? Can't ask ol' what's-his-name today' since you banned him.

#24 ·
olcowhand said:
But ducky, think about the traction! What would they each weigh with lead........500lb or more? LOL
Yes sir that would make that Ford walk tall won't it. Kenny would become unstoppable than. Now that is scary.

#25 ·
Sparky said:
An additional consideration is that all this work would have to be spin balanced both clockwise and counterclockwise at many levels of rpm and tilt in travel . Lock washers both left and right handed will be needed. And a little Elmer's glue also . Anything else ?
Duck tape!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.