• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Today I fixed the problem with the bearings. I used my dremel with a grinding bit until it would slide over the spindles nice. Hopefully I can get the front wheels on tomorrow. How should I grease the bearings?

#32 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I got the spindles back on this morning. The old style wheels are pretty interesting.

first you put on a bearing, half of the wheel, then another bearing. then bolt it onto the spindle and put a cotter pin into it.
Posted Image

After that you put the tire and tube (this style must have a tube) onto the half thats on the tractor. Last you bolt the other half of the wheel to the half on the tractor with the tire on it and inflate. I looked through all my stuff and I have tubes but they are used and have holes, I will have to patch them. I didn't have any of those nuts with the notches in them for the cotter pin so i had to make some. Here they are.
Posted Image

Im going to get grease and some grade 8 bolts now. Hopefully I will have enough time when I get back to patch the holes before it gets dark. Then I can assemble it for real!

#33 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 05:33 PM

I got bolts for the wheels and i got some grease. I went to patch up those tubes and I took a look at the valves and that style valve wont work on these wheels. Hopefully I can go to TSC soon to get some new ones.

#34 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Great job ryan, it looks like it's coming along nice! keep us up to date. :thumbs:

#35 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I think you're coming along good on that job! I've never seen a set of wheels like those before. Looking forward to the next installment!

#36 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Thanks guys! My tiger has similar wheels, except you take off both halves then it comes apart. The wheels on this and the tiger are solid cast iron and are very heavy. All forklifts that I know of have wheels that come off then come apart into two pieces.

#37 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:02 PM

The front tubes finally came today! Took a long time though. I got the bearings backed with grease and the wheels on. It looks so much smaller with the tires on and it on the ground!

Here are some pics.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also took the governor linkage off of my tiger with the same engine so I could remake it. not an exact mach but the overall length is the same and I think thats all that really matters.
Posted Image

#38 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 10:05 PM

I think it'll work, nice job...be careful that it is the same length, from the angle of the pic the newer looking one apears 'longer' not sure if this is an optical illusion, but you don't want to over rev the motor...

#39 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:49 AM

I noticed it looked longer in the pic also, if you hold them on top of each other, they are the same.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I put the carb and air cleaner on, as well as the throttle cable and fuel line today. I pulled it a few times but it has no spark. I sanded the plug but other then that I didn't do anything trying to get it to spark. I put my finger over the plug hole and I didn't feel anything so, I pushed it back into the garage and let it be for now. What is the compression supposed to be in this? I will put the tester on it tomorrow and see what I get.