• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:24 PM

i got this a couple years ago. i havent done much with it but i have all the parts for it and will restore it one i get a place to put it so its not out in the weather. that is not the original engine and somebody made it electric start, im going to put aa older Briggs on it to keep the originality of it. i think its from late 30s early 40s but i dont know anything about it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

here is my flickr set with more pics if you want to look at them.
http://www.flickr.co....th/5883400656/

here are a few pics of other tractors that are incredibly similar, if you can identify mine or these itwould be so greatly appreciated.
http://www.mytractor...03&d=1323549218
http://www.mytractor...=1&d=1323555008

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:28 PM

:wave: bmxkid313 Welcome to GTTalk! That looks like a great project you have there! There are plenty of folks on here who will be able to help with the identification...unfortunately I'm not one of them. I just wanted to say Hi and welcome you to the forum! Thanks for signing up!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm also here to say :welcometogttalk: and
To :bump: the thread. One of the Speedex guru's will be along shortly.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 07:23 PM

Welcome bmx! Enjoying all the pics you've posted. Great old tractors....all of them! I'm no Speedex guy, so you'll have to wait till a knowledgeable member comes along....and they will!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 07:32 PM

thanks guys, seems like you know just as much about speedexs as i do! i know somebody will recognize it eventuly, no telling when though.

#6 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 08:04 PM

i got this a couple years ago. i havent done much with it but i have all the parts for it and will restore it one i get a place to put it so its not out in the weather. that is not the original engine and somebody made it electric start, im going to put aa older Briggs on it to keep the originality of it. i think its from late 30s early 40s but i dont know anything about it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

here is my flickr set with more pics if you want to look at them.
http://www.flickr.co....th/5883400656/

here are a few pics of other tractors that are incredibly similar, if you can identify mine or these itwould be so greatly appreciated.
http://www.mytractor...03&d=1323549218
http://www.mytractor...=1&d=1323555008

From what I have found it is either a M 16, M23, or a M25. Made from 1949 into the mid 50's. M 23 being the most popular with a 8 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I found this info here lower on the page. There is a guy on GTtalk that has one of those. His username is NutCase.

Speedex model history.

Edited by Lovintractorin, December 10, 2011 - 08:15 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Welcome to the forum!! Great old tractor you have there, looks like an M series Speedex, I'm not really an expert on them but I'm thinking it is a model M-23 or M-25 from somewhere in the mid 50's. They were Briggs powered and tiller steer garden tractors. I like the PK you have too!!
Peter
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:01 PM

thanks, after i posted this i went on a google mission and i thought i found it to me an m series also, i didnt say because i didnt want to influence anybody, i hope that makes sense. i made a thread with my power kings a little while ago if your interested.

#9 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:27 PM

As remarkable as this sounds I have one exactly like it!!!! same front end 'so that must have been the weakest link' on that tractor. From what I gather this is the M23 which dates the tractor right at 1949-50....What is even more remarkable is I NEVER thought I'd ever see one like it...LOL
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:37 PM

thanks! i never thought id actually have a year, i thought it was about 10 years older than that. i just joined so i dont know how it works here but over on MTF, once you say you have something just like something else, or something similar, or that you have one too, its basically code that you post pics.

#11 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:43 PM

bmx I have an M23 as well and it is a 'tiller steer' so while I have one like this as close as I can come up with is this...however the M23 the engine moves fwd and bkwd...this model the engine moves horizontially so this may have been either a prototype or some other model not accounted for yet...I notice you have a few mods different from mine though...your seat is a bit different, mine is on a 2" diameter pipe with some serious seat springs...yours on the other hand has what looks like a 'cub cadet' type, which may not be the name it is the style I know them as, and they were very prevalent in the 60's on garden tractors of different makes...I am sure this tractor dates to much earlier than that though...
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:47 PM

i dont know how it works here but over on MTF, once you say you have something just like something else, or something similar, or that you have one too, its basically code that you post pics.

Everything is much better here than MTF, so NutCase will post several pics of his matching tractor! Now go get those pics uploaded NC! :D
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 09:53 PM

bmx I have an M23 as well and it is a 'tiller steer' so while I have one like this as close as I can come up with is this...however the M23 the engine moves fwd and bkwd...this model the engine moves horizontially so this may have been either a prototype or some other model not accounted for yet...I notice you have a few mods different from mine though...your seat is a bit different, mine is on a 2" diameter pipe with some serious seat springs...yours on the other hand has what looks like a 'cub cadet' type, which may not be the name it is the style I know them as, and they were very prevalent in the 60's on garden tractors of different makes...I am sure this tractor dates to much earlier than that though...

the seat was one thing i picked up on too, id be pretty cool if it was a prototype. do you know were i could find some numbers?

#14 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 10:25 PM

no idea...since this is in the 'worst' cond of all my speedexes it is on my 'to do' list...but typically speedex put numbers on the right frame rail under the engine, so I would start there
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 10:51 PM

no idea...since this is in the 'worst' cond of all my speedexes it is on my 'to do' list...but typically speedex put numbers on the right frame rail under the engine, so I would start there

thanks, ill go out tomorrow and see if i can track down a number.