16 replies to this topic

#1 gene royal OFFLINE  

gene royal

• Member No: 3702
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hello all, Newb Here....

I had an early 70's a few years ago that I had been kicking myself for selling too cheap, until I had the opportunity to pick up this '67 RF a few months ago. I believe it is completely original and just in need of some TLC.

I've tried the electrolysis method for rust removad on the impliment actuator assembly, and found it too slow, and after four days I was not impressed with the results. So I got a sandblaster and had it primed in a few hours.

As I was installing it, I noticed there some play in the lower pully, and I'm wondering if this is normal. It seems to be attached behind the frame, but there may be a bolt missing on the outer arm. There is a lot of grease and dirt to remove to actually see what is supposed to be there or may have broken off. The lower pully also seems to spool while the actuator is disengaged and I am concerned that a deck or snowblower may not disengaage at all. But I also realize that is quite a bit of load...guess I just need to re-furb the 38 deck and find out; but it's pretty rough. Might take all winter.

I think the carb also needs re-built. It runs with the choke all the way open only, and still likes to surge and stall while putting around the yard.

I plan on keeping this one as an original working tractor, and buying another parts tractor to completely restore with my son. I already have it picked out, and hoping I've dropped enough hints to get it for Christmas.

Please excuse any incorrect terminology.

Attached Thumbnails

• deere 061.jpg
  • deere 060.jpg

Edited by gene royal, December 10, 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Welcome to GTT Gene! I'm not familiar with that drive assembly, but sounds like possibly a worn bushing if so equipped, or bolt holes wallowed out a bit.
Likely the spooling will stop once an attachment is connected.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Gene,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

I'm with olcowhand on this one.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:00 PM

Gene,
From the picture you're showing, you have everything installed correctly. I can't tell for sure, but it appears that the small spring is missing, that keeps tension on the pto pedal while in the off postition, which helps to keep all tension off the belt. Look at the bracket that bolts to the frame, and holds the pto pedal. On the bottom of this bracket, there should be a small spring, that connects to the slide actuator. This spring will be stretched when the pto is activated, which will assist in pulling the pedal back to the normal position when not activated. While not activated, this spring will still have some tension on it, so that the pedal is fully disengaged, and won't allow any tension on the belt, so it won't spin while disengaged. Confused yet? I know I would be. It's hard to explain in a message, so I'll send you a PM with my phone number, so you can call me, and i can give you better directions.

Troy

#5 gene royal OFFLINE  

gene royal

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 08:16 AM

OK, thanks guys.

There was no small spring with this assembly when I recieved it Troy. There was an old cotter key that I removed before blasting near the back of the bracket, and I wondered what it was for. The belt was hard enough to find, I can't imagine how difficult the spring will be. I havent been able to lacate a diagram of this assemblt on JDParts.com

#6 gene royal OFFLINE  

gene royal

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:03 PM

So from what I can tell, I have a 39 Deck that I stripped all the way down to the pan this afternoon. Tag #H039E 353100M

How bad is too bad to refurb?

2 of the three spindles are siezed up, and Think I should have tried to remove the pullies before I took them off the deck.

It looks like the right rear wheel took a hit at some point and cracked the pan near the mount. Lots of cancer along the rear edge and right side. Think I can have it blasted, welded and then go to work with body filler?

There is a salvage yard not too far from me where the other RF I have my eye on lives. I believe it comes with a deck in much better condition. So I'm thinking I might just save time and money, while I hold out for Christmas.

Attached Thumbnails

• deere 006.jpg
  • deere 005.jpg
  • deere 004.jpg

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hi Gene. Welcome to GTTalk. If you could find another deck in better condition it might save you a lot of time. You could rehab that one but it would be a lot of time or money to do it.

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:13 PM

I would save the good parts from that deck and go for another one. Spindles are the same for the model 47/48 decks. You can get parts from Deere too.

If you still need pics of the PTO I can snap a pic of my 1966 11o for you. Let me know.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 05:16 PM

I agree you will spend a lot to fix this one. If it is rusted like that in a few places you can bet it is rusted in a lot of other places as well.

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Gene,

The original mower deck for a '67 110 should be a Model 38. The 39 deck you have there, is actually for a flat fender tractor. The serial number for a 38 deck will be less than 100,000.

Troy

#11 gene royal OFFLINE  

gene royal

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Are the 38's also 2 spindle's Troy?

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 11, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Gene,

The original mower deck for a '67 110 should be a Model 38. The 39 deck you have there, is actually for a flat fender tractor. The serial number for a 38 deck will be less than 100,000.

Troy

There were kits available to install the model 39 deck on the RF tractors.

The original RF model 38 decks have 3 spindles. They use the same blades as the model 41 decks used on the 120/140/300/314/316k tractors.

#13 gene royal OFFLINE  

gene royal

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Anyone have any idea what the kits consisted of, or how hard to find a 38 deck might be?

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:06 PM

No, the 38's are three spindles. Also wanted you to know, that the right gauge wheel being broke or re-welded, is common. Out of the 9 decks I have, I think there is only one that wasn't broke, cracked, or re-welded.

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Anyone have any idea what the kits consisted of, or how hard to find a 38 deck might be?

I'm not sure what for kits Trav1s is referring to, but I'm assuming it is just different lift arms, as the mower deck mounting tabs, on top of the deck, were wider than the 38 decks. As for finding a 38 deck, look on ebay or Craigslist. I have never used Craigslist, but I do know that ebay usually has a couple listed about each week for sale.