Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

MF 1655 u joint replacement info....help please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 14, 2010 - 10:30 PM

Need a little info if anyone can help! Looking to replace the u joints on my 1655. The one that is splined connected to the hydro is kinda sloppy and could stand a new yoke. Where does one find this u joint and could someone supply me with the part number to a replacement? Also need to replace the two that go from the mower deck to the jackshaft assembly on the tractor......lots of slop in them also! Parts numbers would be great for those as well! Thanks all! Luke

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 07:38 AM

You have to buy the entire shaft assembly. Pretty steep, but Jack's Small Engine says they have it. Spider kit not available.

Massey Ferguson
PN# 537091M94 SHAFT/ASY UNIVERSAL PN#: 537091M92
has been superceded
to PN# 537091M94
Our Price: $232.68
Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 08:15 AM

olcowhand is right about not being able to buy the cross and brg kits have to buy complete shaft. However I went a different route.Me not wanting to spend too much $$$ on this,I went and bought different yokes and cross brgs and cut off the old ones and welded on the new ones,now the u-joints are greaseable and replaceable. Cost wise probably cheaper this route providing your able to weld and can source the parts. I bought weasler yokes and joints as well as shafting.I'll post some part# of the weasler yokes that should help you out. Weld on yoke 3/4"x7/8" #300 0600 Snap lock yoke # 105 0615 shafting 3/4"x7/8" #404 1214 cross and brg kit # 200 0600 you can also buy yokes with all different size bores that you can either weld onto round shafts or slide then onto a keyway shaft. Like I said I did mine this way as it was the most practical way for me to go.BTW I've changed all my u-joints and yokes to this configuration.Larry

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 08:24 AM

Yep, I changed mine on my 1655 also. I bought a used shaft out of a JD 318. The one end fits my Onan, the other is different. I took the hydro end yoke off the shaft, then chucked in lathe & turned the hole out larger to accept the splined coupler off the Massey. Yoke wasn't large enough to accept the full size coupler, so I turned the coupler down 1" of it's length to fit the 7/8" hole I machined into the yoke. This also has the whole length of the coupler to mate with the hydro stub, giving twice the load area over OE setup. It went in snug, then I welded it up. This shaft isn't installed yet, but I know it'll do fine. It goes in when I install the 18hp B48G Onan I've rebuilt to repower the 1655, then she'll be an 1855. The driveshaft has to be lengthened, but I can't know exactly the length till I swap engines. I will either use a external tube or a solid round bar on the inside of the driveshaft to extend it. With engine mounted & extension piece in/on shaft, I'll simply put everything in place, line up yokes, then weld "in-tractor" for a perfect fit. Edited to add, the JD 318 shaft has greaseable joints, plus twice the size bearing caps.

Edited by olcowhand, May 15, 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 09:08 AM

Yea we have to get creative with these older units have to make parts fit and work lots of the time.But have you taken a look at how lot of the newer stuff is made [just a throw away] It makes one wonder what the mfgs are doing.They almost don't want anyone to fix anything wnat you to buy new every couple yrs. What there trying to do with vehicles here is anything older then 1995 they want them off the road saying there to hard on the enviroment.Ouch whats next lawn and garden equip.Larry.

#6 Luke ONLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thanks guys! Masseydriver, where did you get the weasler cross kits from? Think I'm gonna go that route. I'm not really happy with how massey fit that shaft in the tractor......the yoke end that goes on the hydro splined shaft could have been a half inch longer! But can't complain I guess it did last over 30 yrs......sure we won't be able to say that with alot of stuff made today! One last thing.....the new cross kit, is it made the same with a flat spot on one end for the hydro fan to fasten onto? Thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 10:31 AM

That fan is pretty much useless if you have the Sundstrand hydro. The fan works for cooling fine with the finned Eaton pumps though. The best thing you can do for a Sundstrand is to place a cooler in the line on the return end. I plan on doing that on my 1655 (soon to be 1855). I do a lot of heavy work with the FEL and it can sure use a cooler. One off a 4 wheeler with small electric fan would be great if I can find the space. If not enough, just a cooler mounted close to the flywheel screen would work fine too. I'll likely go with the latter & just use a small power steering cooler if I can find one at the junkyard up the road.

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 15, 2010 - 10:49 AM

Thanks guys! Masseydriver, where did you get the weasler cross kits from? Think I'm gonna go that route. I'm not really happy with how massey fit that shaft in the tractor......the yoke end that goes on the hydro splined shaft could have been a half inch longer! But can't complain I guess it did last over 30 yrs......sure we won't be able to say that with alot of stuff made today! One last thing.....the new cross kit, is it made the same with a flat spot on one end for the hydro fan to fasten onto? Thanks

I got the yokes and kits from a tractor supply I also got them from a place that deals in brgs,gear boxes etc: call some of the places in your area to see if they sell yokes,u-joints etc. No they don't have a flat spot for the fan.It didnt matter as one winter the fan broke off so I ended up making a new one out of 1/16" plate I just laid out a proper dia, on a piece of cardboard drew out the fan blades,cut it out with a jig saw.I then had to drill out the hole in the center big enough to fit over the shaft of the hydro I Then fit a collar over the input shaft of the hydro about 1/2" wide then welded the plate to that collar and put a twist into each of the blades.The collar has a couple of set screws so just tightened then to keep the fan in place.Its sitting almost right against the hydro and is independant of the yoke.It's been like this now for quite a few yrs and works fine.Larry

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Here is a splined coupler that you all may find handy.
https://www.surplusc...name=powerTrans

I think this would able to be fitted to a ujoint. The only thing I would what to Watch is how much weight are we swinging at 3000 grand. I had to make a new PTO once and used solid 1" shaft and bored it to weld in the splined ends. It would wobble really bad above 2500, Made one with a hollow tube and all was good again.