26 replies to this topic

#1 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• Member No: 7711
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 04:12 PM

I don't know if this is the best area or not

Does everyone know what "water beads" are? I recently ordered a whole bunch from eBay and was wondering what edibles would grow well with a bunch of those as soil?

Also would it be better if the seeds/plants were started in soil first?

I'm located in zone 5 so my gardening year is OVER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 04:55 PM

I do hydroponics in the wintertime. I have a tomato that is starting to bear fruit.

#3 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Do you mean aero garden? I have one of those (a space saver 6) and I much prefer dirtier methods of growing that require more care then adding water and fertiliser every outher week to me the aerogarden is too simple

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 07:58 PM

I have an Ebb & Flow system and a Waterfarm. I have the tomato in the WF and I grow Lettuce in the E&F system.

#5 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 04:23 PM

I don't think I know eighter of those systems

The aero garden is just too simple for me and I think my mom would have a HUGE fit if I wanted to reuse the fish tank for food or something it CAN be used for she just wants to trash it

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Here is my E&F System

E&F

Here is my Waterfarm System

Waterfarm

#7 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Looks atleast like there working

Also lol I think cut mint from containers that the ground has frozen would prolly be dead would you agree? Or no? It's a shame too because I wanted to save my mojito mint over the winter but I have plenty more seeds including the basil ones I'm trying to get going lol

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 09, 2011 - 09:04 PM

I use Peat Pellets to start the larger seed and then transfer them, on things like lettuce I start them in starter mix and wash the roots off and transplant them in the E&F system.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 10:54 AM

I'm no expert at indoor gardening,but I do grow a little mould in one corner of the garage.:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#10 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Ahh well I'm gonna see if I can't get a few empty bottles for quicker germination an such (2L plastic)

I got the first bags of the water beads and while I havent looked at them sence last night it appears that they are willing to just keep taking water! That or the container I started them in was too small because I don't use metric predominately lol

I am still thinking of what I want to grow with them and I'm thinking that I'll use my new containers (cut/flipped glass sell on eBay for like 50 bucks) for some lettuce in one don't know about the outher 2 tho

(if you wanna know what seeds I can choose from pop by sakura0garden.blogspot.com the big long list) I think I may use one for a "special" basil that I grew last year and want more of (green with purple spots looked Thai) and I have MANY containers that I'll likely use the water beads with too

Yes lol I know the list is MASSIVE!

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 11:34 AM

I have a mini greenhouse that sits on my deck , I'll put some seedling in it next spring and a HF greenhouse that my sister gave me , havn't set that up yet . Anyway this site was linked to a email ad that I got , pretty neat . I belive this is what your doing ? Al
Aquaponic Greenhouse Growing Workshops and Training Hosted by Nelson and Pade, Inc.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Don't count out the mint till you check it. I too am in Zone 5. Our night time temps have been below freezing but daytime temps have been warmer.
There are Chives, Cabbage and Califlower still green in my garden. Though I'm done for the year. You may still be able to bring in the mint.
I split off the half of the herbs and planted them in pots to grow in the house this winter.

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:44 PM

I have a mini greenhouse that sits on my deck , I'll put some seedling in it next spring and a HF greenhouse that my sister gave me , havn't set that up yet . Anyway this site was linked to a email ad that I got , pretty neat . I belive this is what your doing ? Al
Aquaponic Greenhouse Growing Workshops and Training Hosted by Nelson and Pade, Inc.

I used to have a HF Greenhouse until the Tornado took it out.

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 08:44 PM

I will have to post some videos of my Hydroponics.

#15 Biyu OFFLINE  

Biyu

• 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 17, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I honestly don't know anything about aquaponics so I don't know if that's it or not?

I've gotten a good few of the "water beads" that I've ordered and am waiting on still more lol

I DID clean my seedling heating mat (2 cats in the house I think you can guess?) so once I get the rest of my little workstation cleaned off I can start trying to get some things growing

I have noticed that these "water beads" that are said to stay big for like a month like to shrink within a week to about 1/4 size but not nessiarly original size

Me and mom have been sick so we have been fighting over the temp in the house the room is a frosty 68* f most of the time there are about 9 windows in this room (this house is from the 1920s so there the LARGE windows-- 2 on west side a door and 3 windows on the north side and 1 stained glass and 3 windows on the east side this encompasses the foyer living room AND dining room the area I have my growing stuff is about the middle with a heating vent under it)

Bloody BRILLIANT family I have! (even MORE x-mas crap/frustration because the hard person to buy for thinks there easy to buy for when they get themselves ANYTHING they would want anyway!)

Anywho I'm thinking once I'm done with getting trades packed/out and such I'll try to get some seeds started with my mat --now lol should I use soil (Shultz water retention mix) or is toilet paper "ok"? (will be kept in an inflated sealed ziplock till large enough then hopefully moved out of the bag slowly and eventually into the water crystals)