Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Don't get this Head ache

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:18 AM

I just got off the phone with a friend who has a big head ache to deal with today. Last night as he was surfing the web a dialog box popped up telling him he had all these things wrong with his computer and offered to fix them. It then came back and said it could only fix xx number of the problems for free but never gave him a price just asked for his account info. Today he has no icons, nothing in his start up menu and it is asking him what OS he wants to use.

I'm posting this to once again remind everyone that if you suddenly get a popup or a dialog box telling you something is wrong the first thing you should do is restart your computer especially if it is something you are unfamiliar with. If it is a real problem it will be there when you reboot. Once you have rebooted then do a scan of your system with both a good security suite and a malware detection program. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING OR ANYWHERE ON THAT POPUP AND/OR DIALOG BOX! That dialog window is usually a disguise to the Windows permission window asking to install a program. Once you have clicked on it, it is usually to late.

My friend will probably be spending the rest of the day today and tomorrow installing all of the windows updates and all of his applications.

Of course if you are using Linux then you can just go about your business, Sorry just had to add that! :poke:
  • mjodrey, daytime dave, ducky and 8 others have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for telling us this,Bill.
Oh , and I do have Linux,so on with my day.:D

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:29 AM

I usually close the browser and hit the full scan button on MSE. Might be sitting there a while, but the attack goes away.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Stuff like this makes me glad I'm running a MAC.

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Had that on a few of my techs laptops and a real PITA to get rid of.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reminder. It is a real pain.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 03:05 PM

Yes the fakeAV's are a pain in the arse. Have had 4 machines here at work infected that I had to clean. A lot of times it was facebook the people were on clicking a link their friend sent them.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 04:05 PM

I quit running Windows years ago, I ran Linux for several years, but now I'm on a Mac.

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Had that on a few of my techs laptops and a real PITA to get rid of.

Last spring a friend borrowed an HP I keep around for emergencies (DV2000 with XPPro installed) and it got infected by this or something similar. After recovering the data using an Ubuntu Live CD I tried to remove that crap. Eventually I just reformatted the drive with the same Ubuntu live CD.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Last spring a friend borrowed an HP I keep around for emergencies (DV2000 with XPPro installed) and it got infected by this or something similar. After recovering the data using an Ubuntu Live CD I tried to remove that crap. Eventually I just reformatted the drive with the same Ubuntu live CD.

My friend brought the computer over yesterday evening, fustrated to say the least, this is exactly what I did except I used Linux Mint. I think this is the easiest and fastest way to fix a computer like this. I have tried to clean them up before and you just can't seem to get it back to square one.

Today he gets to have fun today installing the all the updates. :bounce: As I was working on the computer last night we were talking and I got a clearer picture as to what happened. He is expecting a package and so he got an email from what he thought was the USPS and clicked on the link.

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 01:16 PM

We had the same thing happen at work recently, had to re-image (wipe hard drive clean and re-load windows) two of them and was able to restore previous settings on the third. This even got on our servers, boy was I glad I was the one who found and not someone else who had not seen it before...