Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Is there an easy way to tell if a Gravely 4 wheel tractor has hydro trans by the model number # I've been doing some CL searching and was looking for one with hydro and maybe hyd lift too , Thanks , Al

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 10:49 AM

I don't have the answer but good luck with your search. The Gravely's are unique machines.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 11:29 AM

I can't help you with your question,Al,good luck though.

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 05:26 PM

I saw your question Al and thought maybe it was just a matter of a number or letter in the model number like the Bolens that were a G or H. We have a Gravely dealer a few miles from us, so I gave them a call thinking that I would get a simple answer. The fellow I talked with was wonderful and very helpful. But he shocked me when he said that Gravely never made a hydro. If I understood him correctly tho he did say the rear engine Gravelys had a single lever for forward or reverse. (To me that sounds like a hyro but maybe it's not a true hydro.) I think that I would have better understood if I was actually looking at a tractor and having him explain it to me. So I was unable to get you the answer you wanted. Sorry about that. Hopefully an expert will come along with the correct answer. I'll be looking forward to finding out myself.

Edited by grand, December 07, 2011 - 10:11 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 06:25 PM

grand ,thanks for making the phone call , wonder how that "forward reverse" works ? We have some Case backhoes 590super M and L at work and they have a manual 4 speed, you set the range and just use the throttle and with a forward & reverse lever , I like the way they work . maybe the same ? Al

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 07:15 PM

In this neck of the woods that's know as a forward and reverse shuttle. Put it in 3rd and you have forward and reverse in 3rd gear. Hope I'm not leading you down the wrong path but this is interesting to follow.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:18 AM

I down loaded a manual and boy it looks like a complex transaxle !! ( remember I have Power Kings and there are very simple ) Does anyone know how rugged they are ?

#8 old tractor guy OFFLINE  

old tractor guy

• Member No: 7902
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi, I am new to site but have owned and still own many Gravelys, No Gravely is hydro drive,except some late ones when Ariens bought them. All walk behind and 400 series riders use same trans. with internal cone clutch for for.-rev. 800,8000 series use 4 speed trans with for.-rev clutchs on outside of trans. onlt 800,8000 series came with optional hyd. lift. but no change in model #s. It is most easly seen by the size of attach. lift handle on left side. small 6" hyd. 3 ' manual. hope this helped. Note hyd. lift can be added to man. lift quite easy. Russ
  • Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Russ for the info , I think it would still be nice to get one even if it's gear drive , did you ever have the larger series 800 ? Al

#10 jcaravalho OFFLINE  

jcaravalho

• Member No: 7909
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 12:53 PM

thanks for that bit of info i just came into ownership of a commercial 430 and it came with a spare hydrostatic drive the guy was goint to replace it cause the one on the unit had slop at the key ways for the axle and the front to bolts that hold it to the body but otherwise the rest of the machine is in decent shape i need to get pics of it and all the attachments for it i think i did good traded of a bunch of literally junk for the tractor and informed the guy it was all junk but he said he wanted it so i think i did great with all the attachments and such

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:30 AM

Welcome, jcaravalho! Why not mosey on down to the 'Member Introductions' and tells us a bit about yourself and the tractor.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:45 AM

thanks for that bit of info i just came into ownership of a commercial 430 and it came with a spare hydrostatic drive the guy was goint to replace it cause the one on the unit had slop at the key ways for the axle and the front to bolts that hold it to the body but otherwise the rest of the machine is in decent shape i need to get pics of it and all the attachments for it i think i did good traded of a bunch of literally junk for the tractor and informed the guy it was all junk but he said he wanted it so i think i did great with all the attachments and such

Welcome to GTT!

We would love to see some pictures of your 430, I have a 430 myself.