GTtalk's Guide to Buyin...
Kster526 - Mar 22, 2017 06:15 AM
How To Repair A Plastic Shi...
Kster526 - Mar 21, 2017 08:57 PM
Repowering a Massey Ferguso...
637Yeoman - Mar 19, 2017 03:54 PM
REO Motors History
Stroud - Mar 16, 2017 08:17 PM
REO Motors History
cootertom - Mar 15, 2017 05:36 PM
2 Bottom Plow
chieffan - Mar 10, 2017 03:40 PM
June 2016: Cub Cadet Original
I bought this tractor some years back with the intent on using it as is. Well the wife ran it as was for two years, using it for yard work pulling the #2. I decided it deserved a "facelift" to at least bring it back to it's glory days. BUT I was not going to get carried away with a full blown restoration...
So I began disassembly, and a few things turned into every nut and bolt to be removed. I sandblasted all the sheet metal, bolts and nuts, then wire wheeled all the IH hardware and sent then out to NC to be zinc plated. I had metal work to straiten the hood, fenders as well as welding up the grooves in the front axle. Then the seat was a complete disaster, so I drilled out the spot welds on the bracket, then cut out the bad tin in the seat pan and replaced, then welded the seat bracket back on. I never could figure out how some guys got the rust out between the two without separating them...
Engine ran good, it's the original k161, so I just honed the cylinder and added new rings, did a valve job and trued the head before installing a new head gasket. New rear axle "bearings", seals, fresh shifter gasket, rear cover gasket, trans seal, and fresh Hytran fluid.
Front spindles were grooved real bad, so those went to machinist and he built them up and I chucked them in my drill press and went after them with a rattail file and emery cloth... Replaced every gasket and seal in the engine with a NOS gasket set, rebuilt the carb, went a little overboard with that detail. Got a restored steering wheel and NOS muffler from a buddy, (thanks Duke) Then it was onto paint.
I wanted the correct colors, so I used the Cass/IH Federal yellow, and had the white mixed at the PPG paint supplier. Hardener and reducer were shop brand... Then I picked up a HF HVLP gun, and it was off to paint my first tractor with this style of painting. I can truthfully comment, it beats doing it with rattle cans hands down, no comparison.
So rather than assemble most of the tractor before painting, I did it piece by piece or it would have been to hard handling everything from the sitting position. Being in a wheelchair had it's disadvantages, as well as a couple perks. While painting I got great coverage down low and under things, the tops of some parts were a little thin on the paint which needed wet sanding and a repaint.
Bought new front try-ribs and TruPowers for the rear.
ONE YEAR AND CHANGE LATER IT'S COMPLETE with all of it's original hardware, and lastly it's being used for it's intended purpose.
It was a fun "facelift" for the 61 "O". Note, I have the dry element air filter on till I get the oil bath together.
Please except my nomination.
- Alc, jpackard56, Brando and 4 others have said thanks